“SLEEP – its benefits and constrain”, my extracts of some articles I have read on news, magazine and online, for your information!
Sleep has a lot of functions and construes essential part of being and living. Some of its known functions are:
During sleep the body rejuvenates and regenerates itself. This process is very important for the health and tissues, because tissue breakdown happens on a daily basis, and if repair and regeneration doesn’t happen in a timely fashion, the chances of mutations, cancerous growths, etc., can happen at a faster rate.
During sleep, neuronal systems in the brain consolidate information in systematic storage, so that in future when we want to remember something, the information can be retrieved.
During Sleep, muscles are rested; otherwise, muscle, spine and joints are always in use.
Side effects of not getting adequate sleep:
- Irritability at work
- Weight gain and thyroid problems
- Lack of concentration
- Inappropriate aggression
- Higher incidences of accidents
- Increased vulnerability to various allergies
- Tissue breakdown, joint and knee problems
- Digestive problems
- Significantly increased vulnerability to stress
How much Sleep is essential?
For Adults, six to eight hours of sleep is essential. The number can vary from person to person.
In small children, sleep requirement are higher; this decreases with age. There is a sleep spurt during the adolescent years.
Sleep patterns have changed due to following reasons:
- The net, games, jobs that entail night shifts
- The cosmopolitan city culture
- Higher consumption of alcohol and stimulants
- Certain easy-to-obtain sleep medications
- Increased business travel across time zones
- We live in a culture where work addictions and staying awake have become aspiration.